This was today’s baking adventure: Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars. My Mom used to make these for us when I was growing up. The other day someone at work brought in (store-bought) peanut butter and jelly cookies for our potluck which triggered the desire to make these bars. So I e-mailed my Mom, the great provider of pretty much every recipe I have, to get it from her.
It really was an adventure making these …
Mixing the dry ingredients was fine. Than it kind of went downhill …
The first thing was the 1 cup of butter at room temperature. Mine was rock hard out of the fridge, so I stuck it in the microwave, as I usually do, but for a few seconds too long. I ended up with really soft, melty butter, which left a small mess in my microwave and even more of one on my cutting board. I salvaged what I could and then went back to the fridge for another half-stick to throw in the bowl with the soft stuff, ignoring the “room-temperature” instructions.
Once I got my dough to the point I thought it was supposed to go into the pan, I divided it in half and then patted it down as instructed. I got my jelly out and started to spread it, got it nice and spread out … than it hit me “aren’t there supposed to be eggs in this?”
I had forgotten the eggs and the vanilla extract.
So I scraped the jelly off of what I had patted down in the pan as best as I could, and put the dough back into the bowl with the other half. I then failed to heed the instructions to mix the eggs and vanilla extract in a separate bowl before adding it to the dry ingredients. Whoops.
Once I got past that, it was smooth sailing.
I am normally so careful to follow the recipe, so I don’t know what happened this afternoon. Apparently my mind was somewhere else. Where? I don’t know …
They do smell delicious and look like they should now that they are cooling on my stove.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter or margarine, at room temp
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup grape jelly
- ½ cup chunky peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Generously grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish
- Mix flour, baking powder and sugar in large bowl until well blended
- Cut in butter with pastry blender, or two knives, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Beat eggs and vanilla with fork in small bowl until foamy; stir into flour mixture until well blended
- Drop half the dough by heaping tablespoons into prepared pan
- Pat into a flat layer with greased fingers (dough will be sticky)
- Spread evenly with jelly
- Drop ½ teaspoonfuls peanut butter over jelly
- Spoon remaining dough over top
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until brown
- Cool in pan on rack until warm.
- Cut into 2 x 1 inch bars
- Store covered; makes 48 bars (103 calories per bar)